• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Understanding RBRVS

Darlene

Blitzer
I have just receive the AAPC Study Guide for 2012 and one of the areas in the first chapter is "Understanding RBRVS". They give a question stating" Using the table in the chapter, what would be the allowed amount for a level 5 new patient office visit in a provider's office for Miami, FL?" I have no idea how to figure this out and was wondering if there was an easier way to explain it in layman's terms.

Also, there were two questions on the ABN (Advanced Beneficiary Notice). This was not taught in my course nor in this study guide. You have to download the instructions from the website given in the study guide (sorry, it will not let me post it because this is my first thread)

The questions were:

1) When should an ABN be signed?
2) The amount on an ABN should be within how much of the cost to the patient?

I have done a couple of practice exams and they both had questions about ABN...I don't think that this is fair to question us on it when it wasn't taught in the class (just venting on this one).

Any help would be appreicated.

Darlene

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
We study this as well at the college. I have a textbook that will give you some insight. Let me check that and get back with you after the weekend. Unless someone else has information and wants to share. I just don't want to wing it.

R

Ruth Sheets

I will take a shot at answering this one. I have this Study Guide but I may have a different version of it so my data given in the tables may be different. I hope you know that the answers are in the back of the book.

First some background which you may already know, but just so we are on the same page.

The level 5 new patient office visit is CPT code 99205.

RBRVS stands for resource-based relative value scale. From the AMA website: "In the RBRVS system, payments for services are determined by the resource costs needed to provide them. The cost of providing each service is divided into three components: physician work, practice expense and professional liability insurance. Payments are calculated by multiplying the combined costs of a service by a conversion factor (a monetary amount that is determined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services). Payments are also adjusted for geographical differences in resource costs."

So basically this is an attempt to compensate doctors for a particular procedure in a way that is fair, taking into consideration the intensity of the work (WORK RVU), the expense to the physician to provide the procedure (PE RVU), and medical liability involved for doing the procedure -- (MP - for malpractice). But for each of these components, there is a corresponding geographic expense component, because it costs different amounts to do anything in different parts of the country. This is called the Geographic Practice Cost Index (GPCI).

Step 1: Identify the data we need.
So looking up the CPT code of 99205 in the table the Study Guide provides, we find that this code has the following:
WORK RVU = 3.17
PE RVU = 1.91 (This is from the column for non-facility locations such as a doctor's office. We can ignore the column for Transitioned facility for this example.)
MP RVU = 0.2

But we need to adjust these values for Miami, FL. So there is another table which gives us a GPCI for each of the above components.
Miami's WORK GPCI = 1.000
Miami's PE GCPI = 1.069
Miami's MP GPCI = 3.167

Step 2: Calculate the WORK, PE and MP adjustments for Miami.
We multiple the WORK RVU by Miami's WORK GPCI to determine the "work intensity" for Miami. We multiple the PE RVU by Miami's PE GPCI to determine the "physician expense" for Miami. Likewise, we need to multiple the MP RVU by Miami's MP GPCI to determine the "malpractice liability expense" for Miami. These 3 calculations are as follows.
3.17 * 1.000 = 3.170
1.91 * 1.069 = 2.042
0.2 * 3.167 = 0.633

Step 3: Calculate the Total Geographic adjustment
We add 3 results (from the last step) to get the total of the geographic adjustment:
3.170 + 2.042 + .633 = 5.845.
So, in Miami, a 99205 has a total geographic adjustment of 5.845.

Not every location will have this same value. For example, "NotSoDifficultTown" may have a total geographic adjustment of 3.00, and "SweetEasyTown" may have a total geographic adjustment of 1.00 for doing the same 99205.

Step 4: Figure the dollar amount using the Conversion Factor.
We have to multiply the geographic adjustment (from the last calculation) by the Conversion Factor.
If the conversion factor (CF), which changes every year, is $36.8729 then we have the following:
5.845 * $36.8729 = $215.52

Therefore, the physician in Miami in a non-facility (doctor's office) doing a 99205 would receive $215.52 (for a Medicare patient).

However, in NotSoDifficultTown they would get 3.00 * $36.8729 = $110.62, and in SweetEasyTown the physician would get 1.00 *36.8729 = $36.87. This would be fair because the physician in Miami needs more money to run his practice there, compared to the physician in the other towns.

NOTE
All this is good to understand, but will you get a question like this on the CPC Exam? Personally, I do not think it is very likely from what I've seen in practice exams, etc.
It is good to memorize the 3 components that are needed: Work, PE, MP and that there is a GPCI to take into account the geographic location. And know about the CF, conversion factor that is updated annually, and that it is a dollar amount.

R

Ruth Sheets

Regarding ABN... yes this does come up in practice exams. There are a few things like that where they may not have been covered, or just covered lightly. Another one that came up for me was the Place of Service codes which are in my CPT manual immediately after the front cover. So, perhaps, that is why you need to do some practice exams to uncover some missing details that you would not otherwise unearth prior to the actual exam. Hopefully you will discover all the crucial information before the exam so you will really know your stuff when Exam day comes.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
That is an excellent explanation Ruth! :)

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Thank you for breaking that information down Ruth. I'm able to follow your explanation and I'm beginning to understand it.